What license do you need to rent a motorcycle? And three more Frequently Asked Questions

What license do you need to rent a motorcycle? And three more Frequently Asked Questions

Planning a vacation and thinking about renting a motorcycle in Spain? Well, it’s a breeze. Just go to:

  • You must have had a driver’s license, valid for a high-cylinder motorcycle, for at least three years.
  • You must be at least 25 years old.
  • Your passport must be valid.
  • You must have a credit card to make the security deposit.

As you can see, there’s nothing to it. Now, a question we often get is: “Do I have to have previous motorcycling experience to rent a bike?” The answer is that you must have ridden at least 5,000 km on a motorcycle over the last 3 years. To rent a motorbike it is very important that you be used to riding one, both for your physical safety, and that of third parties. At Beebiker we are motorcyclists too. Caring about your safety, we know that experience is essential!

How much experience do I need to rent a motorcycle in Spain?

Although the roads and traffic are quite orderly in Spain, a motorcycle trip through our country involves riding on superhighways, slower roads, and through cities. So, if you have a 3-year-old license, and have covered at least 5,000 km in that time, you should be used to riding a motorcycle, and not have any type of problem here.

If you meet these requirements, organising a trip to Spain and renting a motorcycle to explore the country is bound to be the best decision you’ve made in a long time. Get ready to enjoy the experience of a lifetime!

Passport or identity card?

If you want to rent a motorcycle in Spain, in addition to a valid driving license (which we will explain below), you will have to present valid ID. If you will be coming by plane, you will, of course, need a passport or identity document, and that will be enough. If you belong to the European Union you can travel with an identity document or passport. However, if you belong to a country outside the EU you must travel with your passport.

Do I need a credit card or cash to rent the bike?

To rent a BMW motorcycle in Spain with Beebiker you will need a credit card. To validate your reservation, you must fill out the online rental form, after which you will receive a reservation code. When we accept your reservation, you will receive an email to proceed with the rental payment. You pay 30% up front when making the reservation, and the rest, 70%, 30 days before the rental period. If you make your reservation a month or less in advance, you will have to pay the full amount up front.

What about the motorcycle license? Which one do I need?

If you are Spanish, to ride a high-cylinder motorcycle you need a Class A permit, which allows you to ride all the bikes that we rent in Spain, with no power limit.

To clear up any confusion, in Spain there are four types of motorcycle licenses:

  • AM license: formerly known as a moped license. With this permit you can ride two- and three-wheel mopeds up to 5 cc, and light quadricycles.
  • A1 license: you can ride motorcycles up to 125 cc and 11 kW of power.
  • A2 license: only adults can acquire one, and it allows you to ride motorcycles up to a maximum power of 35 Kw.
  • License A: the one we request at Beebiker, the king of motorcycle licenses, the one that every motorcycle maniac has. This license has no power limits, and is valid for any and all motorcycles, tricycles and quadricycles.
  • In addition to these licenses there is the possibility of riding a motorcycle with a car license (B) and at least 3 years of experience. With this option you can ride motorcycles up to 125 cc.

Carnet de conducir de moto en España


Which are valid in Spain?

In Spain, apart from a Spanish driving license, those issued within the European Union and the European Economic Area (Liechtenstein, Norway and Iceland) are also valid. So, if you are from one of these countries, you can ride the same vehicles as in your home country.

Now, keep in mind that if you have a license that allows you to ride vehicles up to 50cc, or a car license less than 3 years old, you cannot ride any of the motorcycles that we rent at Beebiker. Neither can you rent with us if you only have an A1 license, or a B license, regardless of whether it is older than 3 years or not. So, keep in mind that to rent the high-cylinder motorcycles we offer, you need the A license.

If you come from outside the European Union and the European Economic Area there are two options:

Spain has signed reciprocal agreements with some countries, according to which you only need a driver’s license. These countries are: Algeria, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Morocco, Nicaragua, Peru, the Dominican Republic, Panama, Paraguay, Uruguay, Venezuela, Brazil, El Salvador, the Philippines, Guatemala, Serbia, Turkey, Tunisia, Ukraine and Macedonia.

If you want to rent a motorcycle in Spain and your driver’s license is not from the European Union, or from one of these countries with which Spain has an agreement, you will need a driver’s license from your country and an international driving license, which you must acquire in your home country.

Please note that your driver’s license and international driving license must be valid during the motorcycle rental period. Note that we require this because if you are riding a motorcycle illegally, or it has expired, in the event of an accident you would not be covered by any insurance, and the police could fine you!

That’s it. Now you know everything you need to rent a motorcycle, from a legal point of view. So, all that’s left is to remind you to bring good vibes, and be revving to go and discover Spain. You’re going to enjoy an incredible motorcycling experience!

Your Comment

Leave a Reply

Rate Article

Rolen Motor
NH hotels

This website uses cookies so that you have the best user experience. If you continue browsing you are giving your consent for the acceptance of the aforementioned cookies and the acceptance of our policy of cookies , click on the link for more information.